Friday 27 January 2012

Renal Diet: Day 5

It's my last day on the renal diet....I MADE IT!! (barely!)  It was not an easy week...and I have to admit that I cheated today and had whole wheat bread.  My colon was begging me for some fibre!   


I also went out for dinner last night for a friend's birthday, and the birthday girl decided on Chinese food.  Since I have been depriving myself of fluid and feel quite dehydrated, I had an extremely difficult time controlling my thirst after our salt-laden Asian meal.  Actually, I went home must have drank a litre of water!  I'm positive that if I were a dialysis patient, I would be fluid overloaded right now!


This week has been an eye-opener.  My colleagues and I realized just how difficult it is to change life-long habits, and we only changed one small aspect of our lives.  Our patients on dialysis have so many more changes they have to face - being on a machine 4 times a week, taking an abundance of medications at different times of the day, limiting their favourite foods, not travelling as they please, not being able to work....the list could go on and on. 


I'm really proud of all of our colleagues that completed this challenge with us and blogged regularly on their experiences.  I'm even more proud of my dialysis patients, who do this each and every day and still manage to keep it together and keep a smile on their face.  When I drink my wine and eat my chocolate tonight, I will be toasting to their discipline as individuals.  More importantly, I really feel I'll remember this experience, and be a more empathetic health professional when I counsel my patients from this day forward.    - Arti 

3 comments:

  1. I'm a dialysis patient and I we diappointed in your challenge. Instead of focusing on the food we can't eat why no focus all the healthy renal friendly meals you can eat. You don't have to make two meals one for your self on for your family. I have a blog that focuses on renal friendly recipes that contain substitute everyone will enjoy. Check it out some time.
    Th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, why don't one of you become a living donor for one of your patients who is on the transplant waiting list? You could do so much more than just "empathize". Step up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friend is also so suffering from the same thing and I think your blog can help him. Proper is really important for any kind of disease.

    Bono@ kidney stone diet

    ReplyDelete