Tuesday 24 January 2012

What I Miss the Most

Day 2 - (only day 2) ....and I find myself thinking alot about two things that are no-nos on a renal diet. One is chocolate (I like a square of 85% in the evening) and the other is nuts. And I am doing this diet challenge as an option. This is my choice. I wanted to know what the patients I care for are experiencing. Lucky me, I don't have to eat this way long term! I realize now that if you had to eat this renal diet because you suddenly found yourself on dialysis, that would really be pretty crappy. It's a whole big learning curve for one thing - and one that would also impact on your family unless you wanted to cook separate meals. I found myself discussing serum phosphorus levels today with a patient with a different perspective than last week. This week I realize it is just not that simple to make these dietary changes - even if it is "good for you" as a dialysis patient.
Aha moment of the day? I think if I ever needed dialysis, I would want to consider the daily nocturnal form - maximum clearance, minimum dietary restrictions.
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment