Monday 23 January 2012

Reflections on Day 1

This was a tough day - I mean, I have tried changing my diet before, but this goes against so many things that I have always believed to be healthy. That has been a huge mind shift for me. For example, my usual snack mid morning is a handful (1 serving) of almonds. On a renal diet, my snack options (as provided to me today by my dietitian colleague in an ever-so-convenient handout...illustrations and all) might include:
- bread sticks
- unsalted pretzels (but the salt is the best part)
- sugar cookies (yikes- so much for satiety)
- pound cake (ditto)
-dry cereals - e.g. fruit loops, lucky charms, or cornflakes (aren't those for kids??)
Ok ,  I could also have a low potassium fruit (apple, berries, grapes)
or low potassium veggies (bell peppers, carrot sticks - but only 8!)

Lesson for today - this renal-friendly diet takes discipline and planning. And it's only day 1!

Alison

4 comments:

  1. Love those snacks eh? Nothing like lots of sugar and high glycemic load starches to boost insulin and heart disease risk..but what else can those with renal disease do? they have to eat ya?

    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/20/science/la-sci-sugar-20100421

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they have to eat. Something. Even if it is Jelly Beans for a snack!! I am certainly gaining some empathy this week.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they have to eat. Something. Even if it is Jelly Beans for a snack!! I am certainly gaining some empathy this week.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a renal patient, and I don't snack at all. Sometimes it is easier not to eat than to have to always analyze every single food item you put in your mouth.

    Same about portions. Just eat half of what you normally would eat, and you've cut all of the bad stuff by half.

    ReplyDelete