Wednesday 25 January 2012

Double Whammy

This renal diet is pretty tough - but what if I were also diabetic? What if my cause of End Stage Renal Failure was.....Type 2 Diabetes? All too real a possibility, especially in North America - about 40% of our patients on dialysis are there because of complications of diabetes - mainly Type 2. That would make this even more difficult. Many of my acceptable options for low phosphorus/low potassium snacks are high calorie - cookies, jelly beans, fruit loops.I feel like I would not even know where to start!
Maybe some of what we are struggling with this week is the transition from our routines to a new way of thinking and planning meals. And this is why we have dietitians on our teams - to assist in teaching and coaching patients through these learning curves. I am appreciating our dietitian colleagues more and more this week.

Arti showed me a great app that would be useful for patients to use when planning meals on a renal diet if they had a mobile device.

www.kidneydiet.com/index.htm

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment